With the summer months upon us in New England, our eating habits tend to change up a bit from the colder winter months. For example, fresh salsa and chips accompanied by some guacamole is the perfect put-out dish for outdoor gatherings with friends and family. Whereas the winter months are host to warmer, more filling meals. Either way, here at California Burritos, we love our fresh ingredients. Here are a few of our favorite recipes for the perfect Mexican cuisine dish:
Although there are several methods to making a delicious fresh salsa, otherwise known as Pico de Gallo, the main ingredients are consistent; tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro. Here’s one of our favorite ways to quickly whip up the healthy snack:
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- ¼ red onion minced, or for a sweeter taste try Vidalia.
- Fresh chopped cilantro to taste.
- ¼ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced. Your favorite hot pepper can be substituted. However, we recommend going easy on the pepper here. It’s always easy to add more down the road, but not so easy to remove the heat!
- Freshly squeezed lime juice, about a teaspoon. However, add more if you’d like!
- ½ minced garlic glove
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of cumin if you can tolerate the flavor. This spice tends to be a love it or hate it flavor; we love the deep tones it added to any dish!
Mix your ingredients and pop them in the fridge! That’s it! However, one thing to remember is the longer you can chill your fresh salsa, the more the flavors will infuse with one another. We recommend letting them sit for at least two hours before serving with your favorite tortilla chip.
Fresh salsa with a side of guac is like macaroni and cheese. They are just meant to be together! Summer is the perfect time to take the extra time and make a fresh batch of guacamole to serve alongside your salsa! Again, this is another one that can be highly customized to preference, but here’s a basic recipe that is sure to satisfy.
- 1 avocado cut in half with pits removed.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice. This will help the “brown” stay at bay.
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onion, red or white work fine!
- 1 tablespoon of high-quality EVOO
- Salt to taste
Remove the pulp of your avocado and gently mash with a fork. Stir in the rest of your ingredients and let it sit for a least an hour in the fridge.
Although we could go on for pages with our favorite Mexican Cuisine recipes, this should put you in the right direction. For more inspiration, stop into California Burritos and experience authentic Mexican and Salvadorian cuisine the way it was meant to be! Click here to view our menu.